Sunday, March 9, 2014

Josh's Birthday - 5 years old

Hard to believe that Josh is turning 5 years old this year. When I think of him as a baby I see lots of fat rolls, a big gummy smile, and slobber. He is getting so big and smart. He asks questions all day and doesn't like it when I don't have an answer for him, or he'll say, "Ugh...I'll just wait and ask dad when he gets home." My little smarty pants. He is learning how to read and is doing great so far! It's fun to watch his mind work and memorize sight words and sound words out. We had parent teacher conference for him this week and his teacher said she thinks Josh will do "big things" in his life. It was fun to hear about how he is in class. We are so proud of him!

On Saturday we surprised the big kids - mainly Josh - with tickets to Monster Jam. Nick went as a kid and thought Josh would like it too. We left Cora at home with the babysitter and I'm so glad we did! Those trucks are ridiculously loud! I saw a lady there with a 6 month old baby in a little carrier and felt so bad for the little guy. We all had ear plugs in and still found it really loud. Josh LOVED it and Maya was very entertained as well. Nick said she would ask him a question every 2 minutes or so. I'm glad she didn't get bored.

He was asleep 5 minutes into our car drive home. It was already after 10pm and way past his bedtime.

Yesterday was his actual birthday - March 8. He's never had a real party so we decided to do one for him this year. He asked me everyday leading up to Saturday, "Okay mom, how many more days do I have now?" He chose a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle party. Some might say I spent too much time on Pinterest looking up ideas. Some might say I spent too much time sewing and creating stuff for goody bags, but I can tell you it brought Josh so much joy! I made some felt eye masks and he just couldn't stop smiling when he got to try them on. I spray painted pie tins for the boys to wear as turtle shells -- kind of a flop. Only 3 boys wanted to put them on. I also decided to make each of the boys a ninja turtle beanbag to take home. We used them for one of the games that Maya was in charge of. All of the hard work was worth it. Josh woke up in the middle of the night recently and needed to use the bathroom. As I was helping him he walked up to me and in his half-asleep state hugged me and said, "Fank you for all the fings you are making for my party, mama." He's such a sweetie. It was fun to watch him play with his little buddies yesterday. He seems like such a big kid now. You could tell after present time that he was ready for the party to be over. He wanted to dig into his new Legos so badly. He was patient and waited until everyone left. Happy Birthday, Bud!



His favorite birthday treat cereals. He was so excited when he woke up to these! <


Cora enjoyed trying the eye mask and turtle shell on as well. Maya's school has a book swap every Wednesday during recess. She took a couple of books in and was so excited to find a Curious George book for Josh! He loves George right now.


The boys each painted a wooden turtle when they first arrived. After that, we played the bean bag game and "Pin the eyemask on the Ninja Turtle." Maya was in charge of the games and did an awesome job with a group of crazy boys!

No comments: