Sunday, February 2, 2014

Surviving winter - 2014

It has been an awful winter. Record breaking low temps and tons of snow. The kids have had at least 4-5 "snow" days, but school is usually cancelled because of how cold it feels. Last week we had 2 days of -20 to -30 temps. It was pretty miserable out. We're lucky that the kids love being home. They keep busy playing library, restaurant, pet shop, drawing, crafting, and watching movies. I think we're ready to move on from the frigid cold - too bad it's only early February. Friday was nice. School was NOT cancelled and it was actually somewhat comfortable out. Cora and I went grocery shopping after we dropped the kids off at school. She was pleasant and content at the store....although she has the "scowl" on constantly, even when friendly fellow shoppers stop to talk to her. The sun was kind of shining, the kids have all been happy and healthy, and Nick and I are working on getting back in shape finally. It's been so fun to work on this together. Everyday we talk about how we did that day and how we can do better tomorrow. There are so many good things going on around us. Sometimes I get frustrated and down with this grey, cold weather, but today while driving I couldn't stop thinking about how happy and blessed I am. Some warmer weather will make life even better.


One day the kids ventured out and played in the yard with Nick. Cora and I stayed home - nice and toasty warm. They also went sledding but Cora and I stayed back again. They had a blast!

Buddies...sometimes.

Cora started Nursery at church. (January 26, 2014) She doesn't love it yet and cries for awhile when we leave her, but she settles down quickly and her teacher hasn't had to come search for us. I peeked in at her about midway through today and she was trying to feed a baby doll with a little bottle. It melted my heart. She still had the scowl on her face, of course. Ha! I love my little grump.


A few weeks ago we went to the Detroit Science Museum. It has been a couple of years since we last had a membership, so the kids are older and more interested. Cora had just learned to walk about a week earlier, so she was all over the place and loved her new found freedom and independence. We watched an IMAX movie about the Arctic and went to a butterfly exhibit. I've kind of turned into a lame mom and don't take many pictures anymore. I got a few on my phone of Maya admiring a butterfly that had landed on her, but that's it as far as pictures.

Here are some random pictures of the last month or so:


Maya and Josh have really stepped up in helping around the house! I love Maya's sign she hung up while cleaning the bathroom.

Funny kid

Maya made a movie theatre for Josh and came up with yet another sign. My favorite part is, "Smart kids have fun." She made the ship in her art class. I was very impressed! She is so artistic.

Josh completed his behavior chart and was promised a small toy and date with mom. He chose a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle guy. I love this little man.

Well, that's about it for now!

No comments: